Re: Please try new setup exe's

On Jul 16 11:37, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 16/07/2013 03:08, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 09:49:12PM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 01:05:53PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
I'd appreciate it if people could try the two new setup.exe's
installed at http://cygwin.com/

http://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe for 32-bit
http://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe for 64-bit

The setup.ini's for both are updated using a similar schedule to the
"official and soon to be deleted" version which uses
/var/ftp/pub/cygwin/release.  The -x86* versions of these programs
use the release directories from the arch specific locations.

The setup.ini's used by these two new programs are not
backwards-compatible with old setup.exe.

Just to be clear, these new setup.exe's should not do anything untoward
to your existing installation.  They should *just work*.

setup-x86_64.exe behaves differently from setup64.exe with respect to
source-only packages.  (I don't know which one is "right".)  This is
showing up for me because the 64-bit versions of gcc and readline are
source-only packages that are (incorrectly?) required by other packages.
  setup64.exe seems to ignore these requirements, whereas
setup-x86_64.exe wants to install the packages but then reports
"Incomplete download".

Thanks for trying this.  I doubt that is anything that I introduced.

Do you see the same behavior from setup-x86.exe?

In x86, readline is the devel package, and so has source and binary tar files.

In x86_64, the packaging is different and a libreadline-devel package has been
added, so readline is now source only, but has things which depend on it (e.g.
gawk, gdb, python) becuase they haven't been updated for this change.

It seems setup reports trying to install a package for which it knows no
versions with the helpful message "Incomplete download" :-)

That's not nice of setup, but the dependencies to gcc are incorrect
anyway.  I figured that the culprit are three of my packages, namely
gperf, openssh and psmisc, which all three depend on gcc for no apparent
reason.  I vaguely recall a discussion with Yaakov, months ago, that the
gcc dependencies were created by a tiny bug in cygport.

I fixed these wrong dependencies on sourceware.

The dependencies on readline also need to be fixed. In addition to the three that Jon mentioned, there's also rlwrap. My guess is that all four dependencies should be removed (rather than replaced with dependencies on libreadline-devel), since none of the packages depend on readline in the x86 distro.

Ken