Re: x86/ -> ./ symlink

On Jun 29 13:59, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 12:46:00PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >>The x86 symlink break the "Install from directory" function of
> >>setup.exe.  It runs into some endless loop.  If I remove the symlinks it
> >>works as usual.  I don't know why it does that at all.  It has no
> >>business reading these symlinks.  If nobody beats me to it, I'll
> >>investigate next week.
> >
> >Are you saying that this is happening with a CVS version of setup.exe?

No, this occurs with the current 2.774 version from the home page.

> >If not, it seems impossible that this symlink would cause an issue on a
> >local install.
> >
> >Or, maybe you're copying the whole release area to your work area as
> >you proposed in the cygwin list.

We're using a local mirror and "Install from directory" from the local
mirror for many, many years and it always worked fine.

> I didn't try to duplicate this but I did just move the symlink down a
> level.  There are now x86 and x86_64 directories containing symlinks
> to the respective release areas.  That is what it should have looked
> like.

This still doesn't work with the current 2.774.  For some reason it
tries to read *all* setup.ini files, the top level one, plus the two
in x86 and x86_64.

I just built and tried the CVS 2.802 version.  After pressing the
"Next" button in the "Select Local Package Directory" dialog, it hangs
for about 5 minutes, jumps over the progress page in then comes up
with a broken package list:

- Only one category called "Misc" containing all package.
- No short description column.
- It suggests to install all packages, rather than just to update
  the newer ones.

The 64 bit 2.802 executable SEGVs immediately at startup.

I'll just not debug this on Sunday.

Red Hat