Re: nuke cygwin legacy?

On 2/5/2013 10:41, Christopher Faylor wrote:
Corinna +1'ed my suggestion that it was time to remove cygwin 1.5
support so I'm wondering if anyone has any objections to removing
1.5 from cygwin.com.

It seems to me that the sort of person who's still hanging onto a DOS-based version of Windows probably won't be watching this list, or to the cygwin.com home page.

I propose making the deprecation a two-stage affair:

1. Move Cygwin 1.5 somewhere else, so that it doesn't get included in mirrors.

2. Point everything referring to the old mirror system at the new location, presumably a different subtree on sourceware.org. Then you can rely on the FTP/HTTP logs to determine how often people actually install these packages.

There's a core assumption here, which is that download volumes have dropped enough that going back to a single download server is sane. If it turns out that download volume is unexpectedly high, though, well, that's answer enough, isn't it?