Re: cygport: allow patch files to omit PN-PV-PR?

On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 17:11 -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 9/9/2012 3:36 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 11:55 -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
> >> I like the most recent cygport change in Git that allows one to omit
> >> PN-PV-PR from .cygport file names.  Have you thought about doing
> >> something similar for the .src.patch and .cygwin.patch files?  The
> >> advantage would be the avoidance of file renames, as with the .cygport
> >> change.
> >
> > Not really, because I don't recommend maintaining patches in the form
> > of .src.patch and .cygwin.patch.  After making code patches, I copy
> > the .src.patch into one or more patches with appropriate names, which I
> > then add to PATCH_URI and keep in version control.  As
> > for .cygwin.patch, with automatic setup.hint generation and no need for
> > Cygwin READMEs, there isn't much of a need for CYGWIN-PATCHES anymore.
>
> A lot of package maintainers are still using Cygwin READMEs.  I use one
> for emacs, for instance, partially out of inertia, but also so that I
> can give Cygwin-specific usage notes.  But I guess there's no reason to
> use CYGWIN-PATCHES for this; I could add it to SRC_URI instead.

Right, you could name it README.Cygwin, add it to SRC_URI and to DOCS.
It would land in /usr/share/doc/$PN instead of /usr/share/doc/Cygwin,
but that

> Of the many packages that you maintain, there must be some for which
> there's a good reason to have a Cygwin README.  How do you handle that?

The fact that I maintain so many packages is exactly why I avoid Cygwin
READMEs; they take too much time to maintain in the thousands, and the
(usually pointless) information provided in the standard template form
is all available elsewhere.

That being said, when I do have CYGWIN-PATCHES files (e.g. .hint files
pre-0.11.0, .list files, custom postinstall/preremove scripts), I keep
the individual files in version control alongside the .cygport and copy
them into CYGWIN-PATCHES.

Yaakov