perl_vendor

Hi Reini,

I hope you don't mind that I move this discussion here, but it seems to
be the more appropriate place.

[Summary of previous discussion] I think that each perl module
distribution should have its own Cygwin package.  Since our perl
installation at work needs quite a few more distributions, I created the
missing cygport files while the switch to 5.14 was pending.  To ease
installation I also made a bundle package that does nothing but list all
those individual packages as dependencies so they can be installed
together by selecting a single package.

I am aware that splitting perl_vendor up into individual packages would
require great effort and I fully understand that you don't want to
shoulder that alone.  As a transitory measure with much less impact, the
distributions inside perl_vendor could each get empty packages that
depend on perl_vendor (sort of the reverse of what I've been doing with
my umbrella package), which would at least make it more explicit what is
available even though the install (and update) still happens en bloc.
If you like this idea better, I should be able to provide corresponding
Cygwin packages (or just the definitions, whatever your preference) in
about two weeks.

Moving a distribution out from perl_vendor into its own package later on
(LWP springs to mind, which is about the only distribution that I update
with some regularity) would require a coordinated release of two
packages, but that seems manageable.

As for taking over maintainership of all (or the majority) of these perl
distribution packages: I am open to the idea in general, but would want
to have a co-maintainer in the beginning and I would need access to a
build host at least for the XS modules.  The cygport definitions I have
in hand certainly need some more work before they would be good for
general release, but so far I've got zero feedback on them.

Regards,
Achim.