Re: [Patch] Rebase: new switch --ephemeral

On Monday 02 July 2012, 11:32:03, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Recording the ephemeral files in the database properly would likely
> > require a new database format and more support functions, so I'm
> > skipping that for now, I also don't see any need for that at the
> > moment.
>
> You could also just mark them internally in the bitfield (which you
> kinda already do) and then tweak the merge function to sort the
> ephemeral ones independent of the persistent DLLs so the persistent DLLs
> are always compacted from the start base address downwards with
> the ephemeral ones following.  Then you just store the persistent ones.

I'll have to think about that again, but my current conclusion is that this
is one hack too many.  Then again, I don't think we've reached consensus yet
what functionality "properly solved" should include and if anybody wants or
needs to use it.  One reason to maybe consider a more thorough overhaul
would be if it could provide a stable "system" base address mapping for all
Cygwin packages.

Regards,
Achim.