Opinions sought on TeX Live packaging

TeX Live upstream has thousands of packages, grouped into "collections". Cygwin's TeX Live distribution, as originally packaged by Yaakov, has one texlive-collection-* package for each upstream collection. I've just discovered that about 1800 of the upstream packages, falling into about 40 collections, have documentation that is currently not included in the Cygwin packages. I don't know if this was on oversight on Yaakov's part or a deliberate decision to omit most of the documentation.

In any case, I think that the documentation is an integral part of TeX Live and needs to be part of the Cygwin distribution. If I simply add it to the texlive-collection-* packages, however, some of them drastically increase in size. For example, the installation tarball for texlive-collection-latex would increase from about 1MB to about 40MB. And for texlive-collection-latexextra it would increase from under 10MB to over 300MB.

My inclination is to create new texlive-collection-*-doc packages, at least for the most commonly used collections and/or for the collections that have a lot of documentation. Ubuntu appears to do something like this. http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=texlive shows the following documentation packages:

  texlive-base-bin-doc
  texlive-fonts-extra-doc
  texlive-fonts-recommended-doc
  texlive-humanities-doc
  texlive-latex-base-doc
  texlive-latex-extra-doc
  texlive-latex-recommended-doc
  texlive-metapost-doc
  texlive-pictures-doc
  texlive-pstricks-doc
  texlive-publishers-doc

Before going ahead with this, I'd like to know if people think it's a good idea.

Ken