Re: [RFC] Packaging texlive

On Sun, 2012-02-26 at 18:10 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
> I'm thinking about volunteering to package texlive for Cygwin.  It's
> present in many (if not all) major Linux distros, and it could replace
> the obsolete tetex package if the tetex maintainer doesn't object.

tetex is obsolete and needs to be replaced by TeX Live, no question.
Jan, I presume you won't mind if we relieve you of this cruft?

TeX Live also replaces psutils, listed as maintained by Daniel
Boesswetter.  AFACIS he hasn't posted to these lists since November
2003, so I think it's fair to say that it's been orphaned.

> Since Yaakov has already packaged texlive for Cygwin Ports, the obvious
> question is whether he is planning to move it to the Cygwin distro.  If
> so, I would yield to him.  If not, the main obstacle I see is that
> texlive requires some packages (such as libpoppler, among others) that
> are in Ports but not in Cygwin.

AFAICS the dependencies not yet in the distro are:

dialog
openjpeg (as dep of poppler)
poppler (*)
python-imaging (aka PIL, for asymptote)
zziplib

(*) poppler partially replaces xpdf, so this would require coordination
with Dr. Volker Zell.

I'll ITP those and work with Volker on trimming xpdf.

> So the first question is whether it's feasible to move those packages to
> the Cygwin distro in the near future.  Yaakov, WDYT?

If you are interested and prepared to take this on, I'd be happy to work
with you to make this happen.  First I suggest you review the brand-new
texlive cygclass and my .cygport files in Ports git:

http://cygwin-ports.git.sourceforge.net/

The texlive package provides only the binaries; all symlinked commands,
macros, and documentation are provided by the texlive-collection-*
packages, which mostly correspond to the individual TeX Live packages
installed by each of the collection-* meta-packages.  (Most of the
hyphen-* packages are empty except for a postinstall command which isn't
necessary for us.  That's why a few collection-lang* aren't packaged,
since they include only those empty hyphen-* packages.)  I'll be happy
to explain anything which isn't clear about these packages.

Once we're ready, I can handle moving over the texlive packages, take
care of all the obsoletes, and adjust existing package dependencies,
then handoff to you for future maintenance.

Yaakov