Re: [ITP] R-2.14.1-1

On 2/10/2012 10:11 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 07:30 +0100, marco atzeri wrote:
On 2/10/2012 4:37 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
Furthermore, is there a reason you use libRblas/libRlapack instead of
the system lapack libraries?

A tough discussion with R developers. They consider the standard Blas crippled as non correctly handling NaN.

For what I saw they have the tendency to make their own version of any
lib that does not fit on their exact expectation, for the same reason
they do not consider libtool and have a very unusual build.

Bundling libs is usually a bad idea, and as Debian, Fedora, and Gentoo all seem to use the system lapack, I'd suggest to do so as well (as done in Ports).

Yaakov

the request was a bit strong https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2011-November/062565.html

It seems R is assuming math for NaN is a must.

I agree that bundling libs is usually a bad idea, and that the normal
solution is to solve the problem with upstream libs. But it seems
that the math guys have less cross-cooperation skill than I usually
expect by open source teams.

Also netlib (blas/Lapack) have a peculiar development method....

Marco