Re: [ITP] astrometry.net-0.38-1

On 11/8/2011 8:19 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

I think it's kinda cool for cygwin be one of the first (not THE first;
it's already in BSD ports IIUC) to provide these tools, so that's why I
voted +1.

^That is actually the type of answer I was looking for. I wanted to know why people thought the package was needed in the distro.

cgf

Of course there is no "need" for such package, but I noticed that all distro have some astronomical package and at first glance they are not more used that Astrometry. The time taken to approve is likely linked to such particular usage.

I looked at the website and they have a community, a mailing list,
a bug tracker and some planning. It has some usage and I can image
that porting to windows with cygwin is much simpler than trying
another route. For that reason I voted +1.

I built it using one of the first trial and I noticed that
the build system is crude and every utility is static linked,
so personally my preference will be a smaller package using dynamic
linking; but it is a personal estetic opinion.
If the package size is a problem we can put it as a condition

Regards Marco