Re: [ITP] astrometry.net-0.38-1

On 11/7/2011 11:17 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
I've been trying not to offer an opinion here but it isn't clear to me
why so many people voted +1 for this package.  It seems like we're
adding a huge package

Meh, if you exclude the star catalogs (and I think we should; and the OP has agreed to avoid), then bin+src weighs in at 25MB (65MB uncompressed), which is pretty large but not unheard of.

Most of that is because it has a ton of exe's, and all but one are linked statically to various support libraries. (Oddly all of those libs get dumped together into the DLL, and that dll is used by only one client. But, conceivably, the other exes could also link to that dll, for a big win: from 45MB uncompressed to approx 2.5MB, based on my seat-of-pants calculation).

to the distribution just to help out a very
miniscule user base.

Meh, without casting aspersions, I doubt the user base of our various specialized math tools -- like singular, octave, fftw3, qhull, etc -- are very large in absolute terms. But...we have maintainers, they volunteered and contributed, so here we are. If they go AWOL, then the package gets slapped with _obsolete.

Same deal here.

Do we really need this package in the Cygwin
distribution?

Well, not as such, no. We don't really NEED very much of what's currently part of the distro -- but that's never been the justification for package acceptance. Do we "need" fortune or robots?

I think it's kinda cool for cygwin be one of the first (not THE first; it's already in BSD ports IIUC) to provide these tools, so that's why I voted +1.

However, you're still (one of the) benevolent(?) dictators-for-life. Are you exercising a veto? If so, we can teach the OP how to set up an add-on setup.exe repository, like cygwin-ports, which he can host over at astronomytortilla or whatever -- so it's not a "disaster" if you are vetoing.

--
Chuck