Re: [ITP] libargp 20110921-1 (ping)

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:06:36AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>> I'd like to package and maintain libargp for Cygwin. ?argp is a C interface for
>>> processing command line arguments.
>>>
>>> The libargp source files are taken from gnulib. ?gnulib is a well-known program
>>> available in major Linux distros (e.g. http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnulib),
>>> but I'm not aware of any distros that separately package just argp from it. ?So
>>> I'm not sure if libargp needs to be voted on or not for inclusion in Cygwin.
>>>
>>> Documentation: ? ? http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Argp.html
>>> Source home page: ?http://www.gnu.org/s/gnulib/MODULES.html
>>> License: ? ? ? ? ? LGPL
>>
>>Package maintainers, please consider voting in favor of libargp for Cygwin.
>>
>>I don't know of any rule that says I can't vote for my own package, so I'm
>>voting +1 for libargp. ?I want it specifically to use with nosleep [1]. ?I
>>could have just baked the argp source files statically into nosleep, but they
>>would have made up the bulk of the code, which seemed silly. ?It seems better
>>to make libargp available for shared use.
>
> I think the fact that other releases contain an implementation of argp should
> be good enough to make its inclusion a foregone conclusion. ?I do hope that
> someday the package can go away and this functionality can be added to the
> Cygwin DLL though.
>
> So, all we need is a GTG on packaging.
>
> The same doesn't apply to the "nosleep" package, of course.

Since argp is a gnulib extension, and gnulib cannot/should not be
packaged as seperate library, only pulled in from source (clisp e.g.
does so) I fail to recognize
why nosleep does not include gnulib at all?
This would it make it bigger, but easier to port to other platforms.

For me personally both ITP's look fine, but I have not cygwin machine
for the next weeks. So I cannot GTG it.
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/ ? http://www.perl-compiler.org/