Re: 256x256 px icons

On Aug 17 15:02, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > On Aug 16 13:28, Warren Young wrote:
> >> The hippo model is free in the same way most fonts are free: I can't
> >> legally give you copies of the mesh and textures, but I can produce
> >> as many pixels as I'd like using it, and donate those pixels to an
> >> open source software project.  See section 4 in the DAZ content
> >> EULA:
> >>
> >> 	http://www.daz3d.com/sections/aboutus/eula/EULA_Content.pdf
> >
> > Hmm.  That's not exactly what I understand as free or open license.  The
> > paragraph 4 doesn't sound good to me.  In fact, I removed all traces of
> > the boxed hippo from my machines after reading that.
>
> Well, it seems clear that the 3D mesh is not libre at all, nor gratis.
> However, 2D images created FROM the 3D mesh appear themselves to be
> gratis at the least, and maybe libre *enough*, since the paragraph
> related to them is concerned solely with the ability to (re)extract the
> 3D mesh.  Otherwise, you're allowed to do whatever you want with the 2D
> renders:

Maybe, but as a non-licensee I'm not feeling overly well if the source
of the stuff is non-free.  To me that's not quite what I think of "open
source", and that's what this project is about.  Also:

> > Subject to the foregoing limitations, and the rights, if any,
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > of third parties in or to the objects represented by the 3-D
> > Model(s), you may copy, distribute, and/or sell your animations and
    ^^^^^^^^
> > renderings derived from the 3-D Model(s). All other rights with
> > respect to the 3-D Model(s) and their use are reserved to DAZ3D (and
> > its licensors).

> > That's not really the same.  Copyright problems are something we should
> > avoid like the devil avoids holy water.  This is lawyer's playfield and
> > I have not enough training to play this game.  Therefore I rather not
> > have any of the DAZ art as part of this project.
>
> Well, we can always ask redhat-legal about Warren's 2D rendered art,
> given the DAZ license...

I can do that, but it may take time.

> Before tossing the whole idea, I'd rather get an expert opinion if one
> is available.  To this layman, reading the snippet above, it sure seems
> like Warren is correct: his 2D renders of #angryhippo are freely
> redistributable, and because they can't feasibly be used to extract the
> 3D mesh, there's really no way TO violate the distribution terms above.
>  Now, I'm not sure what license that allows US to slap on OUR derived
> work...can we really do a CC-by-SA or GPLvN? I dunno...

Right, this point isn't answered by the original license.  "You may
copy, distribute, sell", but for some reason it does not talk about
"sublicense" anymore when it comes to distributing or sell the art.

Red Hat