Re: 256x256 px icons

On Aug 15 15:09, Warren Young wrote:
> On 8/15/2011 1:52 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> >On 15 August 2011 18:52, Warren Young wrote:
> >>I present to you now, my magnum opus:
> >>
> >>        http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/boxed-hippo.ico
> >>
> >>Now *that*, my friends, is an angry hippo.
> >
> >:)
> >
> >That is rather impressive, and yep, that's not a happy hippo.
> >
> >Is this just for fun or are you proposing this at the setup.exe icon,
>
> A bit of both.
>
> >in which case of course it would need further effort to make it work
> >at small sizes.
>
> If this does win out over the current gray box icon, I'd say it
> should be used as-is for 256 px, and can probably be made legible at
> 48 px.  At smaller sizes, I'd say the hippo will have to be evicted
> from the box. I'll leave as an open question whether the 32 px and
> below icons become hippo heads, or empty boxes, or C logos, or...

The problem for me is that the Cygwin C is only a sidenote now, and
that it lost its color.  The C is the central brand, so it should have
a matching exposition.  Only few users will see the 256x256 version of
the icon, most will see the 32x32 or 48x48, and in these cases the
simple box with C is clearer afaics.

> This is posed 3D art, so now that I have the assets, I can re-pose
> and make new renderings fairly easily.  About 90% of the effort of
> getting here was just bringing all the pieces together.
>
> I don't think this replaces the newly finalized C logo on the first
> setup.exe wizard page.  I think the box motif works best for the
> .exe itself, the thing you click on to start unpacking things.

Not so sure about that...  http://cygwin.de/angry-hippo-setup.png
I just hope the hippo is free art.

I really like the 3D box, but I think it would be better to have a 3D
Cygwin C hopping out of the box.

Red Hat