Re: 256x256 px icons

On Aug 15 08:33, Warren Young wrote:

> >Turns out, 256 is too big for the splash screen.  Looking for a nice
> >size, I found that 1064, the size of the rasterized original icon,
> >dived by 7 is 152, which looks like the ideal size for the dialog icon.
> >So I added a 152x152 icon to cygwin.ico, and made it the first icon
> >in the set.  Here's the result:
> >
> >http://cygwin.de/cygwin-standalone-beveled.ico
> >
> >Two examples:
> >
> >Classic Windows style:    http://cygwin.de/splash-new-1.png
> >Windows 7 non-Aero style: http://cygwin.de/splash-new-2.png
>
> Mostly delicious, Corinna.
>
> The hard edges in the original art are causing stair-stepping when
> doing a direct downsample, though.  (Look at the pointy bits.)  By
> blurring the high-res version and then downsampling by a
> non-integral amount, you can get a much smoother result.  Here's one
> at 128 px^2:
>
> 	http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/128-smooth.png
>
> If you're really set on 152 px^2, here's that, too:
>
> 	http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/152-smooth.png
>
> If you want yet a different size, the procedure is:
>
> 	- merge all layers (don't flatten; keep transparency)
> 	- Gaussian blur, 2 px
> 	- bilinear resize

Thanks for the tip.  I checked in a new 152x152 icon with lightgrey
stroke which I blurred before.  I resized using the cubic interpolation
because I forgot to set it to linear (no "bilinear" in gimp), but it
looks good to me.  If you want to have a look, I uploaded it to
http://cygwin.de/cygwin-standalone-beveled.ico again.

Red Hat