Re: 256x256 px icons

 If you have a way to create a C which
is not handdrawn *and* stands out, I would very much like to see it.

That's why I quoted Andy: increasing the stroke width can help. By starting with a much thicker outer stroke, you end up with a brighter yet still AA'd outline.

You can also play with (x, y) placement and the sampling algorithm.

An 8 px white stroke on black scaled 256:32 (8x) will not necessarily end up a single 1 px white stroke on black. Given a case where that happens, then shifting the line 4 px from that position, downsampling can give you two 50% gray lines side by side if the algorithm interprets the source image as having half the line on one side of the pixel boundary and half on the other. Then if you leave the line where it is, 4 px "off" optimal for one algorithm but use a different sampling algorithm, you might get good results again.

This same issue is also why on-screen type hinting is difficult.