Re: 256x256 px icons

On 2 August 2011 16:24, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug Â2 15:49, Andy Koppe wrote:

>> > Now what's wrong with that? Cygwin - mean and a bit eerie. ;)

>> > I disagree, looking at a desktop with a darkish picture and dark grey
>> > taskbar and window borders.

>> > I did eventually work out how to turn the outline of fatbuttlarry's
>> > icon grey. See attachments.
>>
>> Having used both variants for a while, I agree that a grey outline
>> does look better.
>
> I tried your icons on my desktop and the standalone icon looks good. ÂIn
> the terminal icons the beveled C looks better than the fatbuttlarry C,
> cleaner, crisper.

I think it would be better to stick to one. I don't particularly mind
which, in principle anyway.

Warren's has the advantage of a 256 version and that it's more
tweakable assuming he provides the vector version it's presumably
based on. It does need to lose that shadow though, and have the bottom
edge fixed. Also, the bottom half of the green triangle is a bit on
the dark side.

> It's also easier to distinguish from the dark
> background, but that's probably just because you used a darker shade
> of grey for the frame. ÂIn the terminal window, a lighter grey really
> doesn't hurt.

It's pretty much the same grey actually (~220), at full size anyway.
But the border is thinner and/or partially transparent in larry's.
Therefore, when scaling it down, it blends into the background more.

> Generally it looks like your C's are a pixel or two smaller, except in
> the smallest sizes. ÂGimp shows that you're always leaving a transparent
> frame of at least one pixel. ÂAny reason for that?

Not really. Just seemed a prudent thing to do when cutting it out of
the original, but you're right, there's no need for this, and I'd be
happy to redo it.

Andy