Re: SETUP: default to mintty

On 4 August 2011 00:38, Warren Young wrote:
> On 8/3/2011 2:37 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
>>
>> - The 256x256 version still has Warren's dark border around the
>> terminal. Not only is this spoiling the KDE Oxygen team's work,
>
> There's a 50% transparent black (so, gray when composited over
> white) border in the original KDE artwork.

It's not solid 50%. It fades away going away from the icon.

> Are you saying you want to drop this, and make
> it like the silver terminal bezel goes to the icon edge?

No. I want the original to be left untouched in that regard. It's
fine. Nobody asked for it to be changed.

Attached it is with the prompt removed, as SVG and ICO, in case this
helps with anything. (I can PM a high-res bitmap if necessary. The ICO
got a bit too big to attach when including the 256px version.)

>> To avoid being entirely negative, here's my proposal: forget about
>> Cygwin-terminal.ico and just use Cygwin.ico.
>
> What's wrong with using the lone Cygwin logo in 16 px through 32 px, then
> switching to logo-in-terminal for 48 px and up where there's enough
> resolution to allow it?

XP defaults to 32px on the desktop whereas Vista/7 default to 48px, so
you'd get different icons depending on OS and which size you choose.
The Cygwin symbol fits into the 32x32 terminal ok, so I don't see an
improvement over having the logo-in-terminal from 32px up as in
Corinna's cygwin-terminal.ico.

Furthermore, it doesn't address this:

"The Cygwin-symbol-in-terminal approach remains a dodgy compromise.
It doesn't fit into 16x16, and as Warren pointed out, the removal of
the prompt means that the terminal is hard to recognise as such. I
can't remember a case for why this compromise is preferable over the
Cygwin symbol on its own."

Andy