Cygwin Icons (Re: 256x256 px icons)

On Jul 30 20:33, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> What I'd like to see is the stroked and beveled variants in 48x48 with a
> light grey border of only 1 pixel, standalone, as well as in a terminal
> frame.
> [...]
> So far I like stroked and beveled, just the thick white frame is a bit
> too much.  I don't know if and how that works, but the optimum would be
> a light frame which is just light enough to set the icon apart from a
> dark background, while it's not too light to be unpleasant on a light
> background.  Is that possible at all?  I don't know.  Gimp is really
> uncooperative to me.

I'm not sure I was clear enough.

As far as I can see, we need two sets of icons.  One with a terminal
frame for the default "Cygwin Terminal" shortcuts, one just the Cygwin C
standalone for setup.exe and as project identity icon.

In the terminal frame the stroked, beveled, or bubbly C should have a
thin frame, which is light enough to set the C apart from the dark
background.  Simple green is ugly, antialiased green is too dark to do
the job.  So, afaics, only light grey would do it, but that's just me.
Other than that I like Andy's terminal frame for the 48x48 and 32x32
sizes.

As for the standalone C, that's the one which needs a carefully colored
frame to set it apart on dark desktops while being unobtrusive on light
backgrounds.  This sounds like it's impossible, though.

Hmm...

[...hours passing...]

Hey, wow.  I managed to use gimp for a first cut of what I'm thinking of
without breaking all my fingers.  Attached are the terminal and the
standalone variation, each of which in all resolutions from 256x256 down
to 16x16.  Actually I have just shamlessly stolen from both of you,
Warren and Andy.  Both icon sets use the beveled icon with a light grey
frame.  I removed the shadows for clearness.  The 16x16 icon is based
on the original cygwin icon, with a thin medium grey frame, downscaled
from 32x32.

Please have a look.

Red Hat