Re: SETUP: default to mintty

On Jul 25 21:18, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 25 July 2011 12:49, Andy Koppe wrote:
> > On 25 July 2011 10:11, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> [This time *with* patch...]
> >>
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> we discussed this back in May already, but somehow we didn't get a
> >> final result. ÂThe thread was kind of confusing, so I re-open a new
> >> one now.
> >>
> >> We talked about using mintty as our default shell. ÂI created a setup
> >> patch which I attached to this mail again. ÂInstead of "Cygwin Bash
> >> Shell" in the start menu and "Cygwin" on the desktop, it creates
> >> "Cygwin Terminal" shortcuts in both of them.
> >>
> >> Is that ok?
> >
> > If I remember correctly, we were going to go with just "Cygwin" on the
> > desktop. I'll have a proper look later.
>
> Problem: the shortcuts have the classic Cygwin icon whereas the
> resulting terminal window has the mintty (nÃe Konsole) icon. Worse, on
> Windows 7 at least, the Cygwin icon also appears in the taskbar.

Not on my W7.

> It
> needs to be the same icon throughout.

Why?

> That raises the obvious question: which one? I vote for mintty's, but
> of course I'm biased. I don't think the classic Cygwin icon is fit for
> purpose anymore, because of its jagged lines and because the black 'C'
> is invisible on dark backgrounds.

I have no problems with either.  I like the mintty icon, but I also don't
want to remove the Cygwin icon entirely since, as ugly as it may be, it's
kind of a brand and has a recognition value, collected over the years.

What about modernizing the Cygwin icon?  Or, what about having a mintty
terminal icon with a small C in it?  The only problem with this is, I'm
anything but an artist...

Red Hat