Re: Opinions solicted for changes to tty names in 1.7.10

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 01:28:55PM +0100, Andy Koppe wrote:
>On 14 June 2011 21:36, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> After some discussion with Corinna, I'm thinking about making a change to
>> the tty naming in Cygwin as part of the removal of CYGWIN=tty.
>>
>> (In case you haven't noticed, CYGWIN=tty, is no longer supported in
>> snapshots. ??If you do have the tty option set you get one warning per
>> session telling you to unset it.)
>>
>> Since the only thing using Cygwin's "tty layer" will now be ptys, I'd
>> like to rename /dev/ttyN to /dev/ptyN. ??I've already added /dev/consN
>> support for consoles but I'd like to change that so that consoles are
>> represented as /dev/ttyN instead.
>
>Makes plenty of sense.
>
>The only concern I see is that BSD PTYs (as previously used on Linux
>as well, IIRC) are called "pty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]" on the master side,
>whereas they're "tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]" on the slave side. Therefore
>calling the slave side "ptyN" could conceivably cause issues.
>
>Is the Unix98 scheme ("/dev/pts/N") that's used on Linux these days
>out of the question?

No.  I considered that but adding an arbitrary directory structure under
out /dev kludge seemed wrong.  I would prefer to make it look more like
Linux though.  The man reason why I didn't implement that is that I
thought someone would report that "ls /dev/pts" doesn't work - not that
it couldn't be made to work.

>> Corinna suggested that I should send a query here to see if anyone knows
>> if this proposed change will affect any existing applications which use
>> ptys like mintty, emacs, xterm, rxvt, or screen.
>
>Mintty currently only looks for "tty" when cutting down the device
>name to fill in the utmp.ut_id field, but that's trivial to change
>(and utmp isn't on by default anyway).

Shouldn't it just be using basename(3)?