Re: ITA: gcc-mingw-* gcc-3 -mno-cygwin support packages; ITP: mingw-binutils/mingw-gcc-* cross compiler

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 05:28:46PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>DO NOT ALLOW setup.exe to install mingw-binutils yet, even though
>setup.exe will whine about it.  Nor mingw-w32api or mingw-runtime, or
>any of the mingw libraries (zlib, bzip2, xz, libgpg-error, libgcrypt)

I'm not comfortable with the existence of two binutils packages in the
distribution which do the same thing.  I'm not keen to play the
coordination game with anyone, e.g., "Why is there a mingw-binutils-2.21
and a binutils 2.20?"

Please investigate a wrapper for ld rather than a whole new package.
IMO, it is a bad idea to include a different version of the same package
just to essentially stop ld from searching /usr/lib by default.