Re: [ITP] mingw-w64 Second try

On 9/13/2010 6:52 AM, JonY wrote:
> OK, new headers tarballs up. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

All packages are uploaded.  Please wait 24 hours until they can
propagate to the mirrors, then post announcements to cygwin-announce.

Please look at the suggested templates here:
http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/htdocs/package-maint/templates/?cvsroot=cygwin

for these messages.  If I were you, I'd post six separate announcements:

1) An overall announcement for the mingw64-x86_64 cross toolchain

and then, individual announcements for each of the major (e.g.
separately versioned) components:

2) mingw64-x86_64-binutils
3) mingw64-x86_64-gcc
4) mingw64-x86_64-headers
5) mingw64-x86_64-runtime
6) mingw64-x86_64-pthreads

Note that your messages should NOT have subject lines beginning with
[ANNOUNCEMENT]; that will be added automatically.

Oh, and one last thing: now that this is officially distributed by the
cygwin mirrors, you need to be *very* careful about unique
version/release numbers.  Over all of these ITP iterations, you have
continued to use the same ver/rel numbers for EVERY new update you've
uploaded.  That's ok -- but ONLY during the ITP process.

>From now on, every test release and iterative update placed on the
cygwin mirrors *must* increment the release number each time; otherwise
we'll never know WHICH 4.5.1-2 gcc package a bug-reporter was using.
It'd be better, if that numbering guideline were ALSO obeyed for any
cygwin test releases you upload to mingw64's sf site, too...

In any case, for future updates all you need to do is make the new
packages accessible and post an [RFU] message to cygwin-apps; there's no
need for this long, drawn-out process anymore.  If you want to release a
given package as a 'test' release, just make a note of that in the [RFU]
message, such as:

"Please upload this as a 'test' release, keeping 4.5.0-1 (or whatever)
as 'current'."

...and one doesn't typically announce test releases on cygwin-announce;
instead, send a message specifically to the cygwin list.

Just watch what the other maintainers do on cygwin-apps...

and thanks again for doing this!

--
Chuck