Re: [ITP] gnucap - initial questions

On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 20:10 -0700, Peter Li wrote:
> The Gnu Circuit Analysis Package has a stable version 0.35 from 2006
> and a very usable dev version from December 2009.  I have found it
> useful in my work, and considerably easier than trying to compile SPICE
> or find a decent free SPICE binary.  There are already Debian and Fedora
> packages.
>
> It compiles in Cygwin with an extremely simple 5 line patch, which has
> not changed over multiple releases from the 2006 version to today.

I did not need a patch to build gnucap; I just added -DRTLD_LOCAL=0
(ahem!) to CPPFLAGS.  Did you need something besides that?

> Is there interest in making it a Cygwin package?  I'm willing to put
> together a current package, but I'm not confident that I can handle
> porting future releases if they require more complicated patching.
> Perhaps someone else would be willing to take this up?

If it hasn't needed extensive patching for such a long time, I doubt it
would in the future.  If you want to maintain this within the distro,
please feel free to borrow from Ports:

http://cygwin-ports.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-ports/ports;a=tree;f=science/gnucap

This isn't the latest devel version, but should be plenty to get you
started.

> I would lean towards making the initial package the latest dev version
> and the "previous" version the stable 0.35 release; what is standard
> practice?

The main distros seem to stick with 0.35, so perhaps you want to make
0.35 "curr:" and the latest dev as "test:", if you feel a need to
support both.

Yaakov