Re: [Setup] Need customization on setup.exe

Hi Christopher,

Thank you very much the quick reply.

Sorry for the confusion. We will make all the required changes to
Setup. But was interested to know the required changes are possible or
not. With you reply, all (except 5) are possible as it's just a
software after all.

Probably, we need your support in making a clone of the Setup, so that
we can make required changes on top of it.

Please let us know the procedure to have a clone of the Setup project?.

FYI: I was able to successfully build the sources of Setup that I got using CVS.

Regards,
Krishna.

On 6 May 2010 08:59, Christopher Faylor
<cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 08:18:34AM -0700, Krishna Achugatla wrote:
>>Currently we have windows installer to install Symbian developer
>>tools. Size of the tools are huge and want to improve on the
>>installer.
>>Cygwin installer is best fit for our need, like download the light
>>weight installer and then download all the user selected components
>>under the hood from network.
>>Following are the requirements of our project
>>1) Clone the setup.exe project and customize it
>>2)?Symbian logo in the installer, instead of a Cygiwn logo
>>3) Have our own categories like Build, Test, Analysis, etc
>>4) Need to access multiple mirror locations, as few components will be
>>hosted by Nokia and few components will be hosted by Symbian
>>5) Customized?End-user license agreement (EULA).
>>Pls let us know, is it possible to have the requirements mentioned
>>above as part of Cygwin setup.exe project.
>
> If you are asking for us to do the above work for you (which you
> probably aren't) then the answer is a resounding NO.
>
> If you're asking if the above is possible then, except for 5) the answer is
> an obvious "yes". ?It's just software after all.
>
> You can't slap your own EULA on the code. ?This is GPLed code. ?If you
> distribute the binary, you need to also be able to send people the
> source code. ?You can't put your own license on it.
>
> If you decide to go ahead with this, it probably goes without saying
> that we won't be interested in supporting your efforts here. ?I don't
> believe that anyone is going to want to help you customize setup.exe in
> this manner but, if they do, it isn't really an appropriate subject for
> the Cygwin mailing lists since this would not really have anything to do
> with Cygwin.
>
> cgf

Some facts about Symbian that we are legally obliged to tell you:
Symbian Foundation Limited is a Company Limited by Guarantee and not having Share Capital
We're registered in England and Wales - Companies House knows us by the number 6683783
Our address is 1 Boundary Row, Southwark, London SE1 8HP.