Re: [Setup] Need customization on setup.exe

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 08:18:34AM -0700, Krishna Achugatla wrote:
>Currently we have windows installer to install Symbian developer
>tools. Size of the tools are huge and want to improve on the
>installer.
>Cygwin installer is best fit for our need, like download the light
>weight installer and then download all the user selected components
>under the hood from network.
>Following are the requirements of our project
>1) Clone the setup.exe project and customize it
>2)?Symbian logo in the installer, instead of a Cygiwn logo
>3) Have our own categories like Build, Test, Analysis, etc
>4) Need to access multiple mirror locations, as few components will be
>hosted by Nokia and few components will be hosted by Symbian
>5) Customized?End-user license agreement (EULA).
>Pls let us know, is it possible to have the requirements mentioned
>above as part of Cygwin setup.exe project.

If you are asking for us to do the above work for you (which you
probably aren't) then the answer is a resounding NO.

If you're asking if the above is possible then, except for 5) the answer is
an obvious "yes".  It's just software after all.

You can't slap your own EULA on the code.  This is GPLed code.  If you
distribute the binary, you need to also be able to send people the
source code.  You can't put your own license on it.

If you decide to go ahead with this, it probably goes without saying
that we won't be interested in supporting your efforts here.  I don't
believe that anyone is going to want to help you customize setup.exe in
this manner but, if they do, it isn't really an appropriate subject for
the Cygwin mailing lists since this would not really have anything to do
with Cygwin.