Re: [RFC] should cygport use peflags?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan 17 01:21, Yaakov S wrote:
>> Is there any harm in running peflags (-d1 for DLLs, and -t1 for
>> EXEs) on Windows pre-Vista?  If not, should I have cygport
>> automatically do this for all packages?
>
> The latest gcc package at least sets the TS-aware flag for all
> executables.  Dunno about DLLs, though.  I remember vaguely having
> discussed this on the cygwin list, mainly with Chuck but I don't
> recall anymore if ASLR is really such a good idea for Cygwin's fork.

AFAICT, ASLR doesn't seem to hurt.  It also doesn't appear to help (even
on Vista), so the principle of least surprise says we should not
arbitrarily set the ASLR flag on all DLLs via cygport.  If folks want to
set it, they have the tool.

Given that the new binutils/gcc sets TS-aware for EXEs already, I don't
think there's any need for cygport to worry about these flags.

--
Chuck