Re: 1.7.1

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 05:43:59PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Dec 22 11:23, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:13:05AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> >Is there a chance we can release 1.7.1 before Christmas?
>>
>> I fixed the problem I was seeing in setup.exe.  As it turns out, it had
>> nothing to do with older versions of Windows.  It was actually a bug in
>> my code.
>>
>> I was under the impression that we were still tinkering with the problem
>> of installing to a network drive but, as far as I'm concerned we're ok
>> to go.
>>
>> If you want to make a 1.7.1 version of cygwin available, I'll do all of
>> the magic on sourceware.  Or, I can build it, put it up, and let you know
>> when to send the announcement.
>
>Cygwin 1.7.1 binary and source packages are already available on
>sourceware in ~corinna/x/.  I can upload them to the release area
>whenever everything else is in place.  Or you can do it while doing
>the magic.  Just keep me informed.

My preference would be to do it tonight but that would probably be too
late for you?

I *could* send out email spoofed as you if you have the words ready.

Barring that, I can probably do this Thursday morning.

>Are you going to upload the new setup now, or does it have to wait
>for the 1.7.1 packages in place?  I'm not quite sure about the best
>order of things.

I have to wait until the directories have been moved.  release-legacy
already exists, and release-2 is no longer a union mount so this will be
a remove and a rename + various assorted edits.

>> Btw, once this is all in place, this is the message that people will see
>> the first (and only the first) time that they install a new version of
>> cygwin:
>>
>>     This is the first time you've installed Cygwin 1.7.1.
>>     Please be advised that this is a major release.
>>     If you have not done so already, please check out
>>     the documentation at http://cygwin.com/ to see how
>>     the upgrade could potentially affect any existing
>>     Cygwin installation.
>>
>>     If this is the first time you've installed Cygwin on
>>     this system then you may ignore this message.
>>
>> The dialog box will show an "Ok" or "Cancel" where "Cancel" will stop
>> the installation.
>>
>> Hmm.  I just realized that this should probably not show up in
>> unattended mode.  Fixed.
>>
>> Older setup.exe's will not work with the new setup.ini at all, forcing
>> people to download a new setup.exe from cygwin.com.
>>
>> Btw, if someone attempts to install the legacy cygwin on NT they will
>> get this message:
>>
>>     You are attempting to install a legacy version of Cygwin
>>     on a modern version of Windows.  Press "OK" if this is
>>     really want you want to do.  Otherwise press "Cancel".
>>     See http://cygwin.com/ for more information.
>
>That sounds good.
>
>My local changes to the index.html file contain a warning as well:
>
>  <h3><center>NEW Cygwin 1.7.1 just released!</center></h3>
>  require some <b>manual changes</b> afterwards.  Most notably the mount point
>  storage has been moved out of the registry into files.  User mount points
>  are <b>NOT</b> copied into the new user-specific /etc/fstab.d/$USER file.
>  Rather, every user has to call the <b>/bin/copy-user-registry-fstab</b>
>  shell script once after the update.  <b>PLEASE</b> read the new
>  Cygwin installation to 1.7.  You're avoiding trouble.</p>
>
>I have the move of the 1.7 docs prepared locally as well.  The addition
>to article.db is waiting, too.
>
>What's actually missing is the text for the announcement.  I think it's
>best to keep it short and simple, just another warning to read the docs
>in the first place and a list of a few major changes like /etc/fstab,
>long filenames and IPv6.  Does that sound ok?

Yes.  You probably want to update freshmeat too.