Re: 1.7.1

On Dec 22 11:23, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:13:05AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Is there a chance we can release 1.7.1 before Christmas?
>
> I fixed the problem I was seeing in setup.exe.  As it turns out, it had
> nothing to do with older versions of Windows.  It was actually a bug in
> my code.
>
> I was under the impression that we were still tinkering with the problem
> of installing to a network drive but, as far as I'm concerned we're ok
> to go.
>
> If you want to make a 1.7.1 version of cygwin available, I'll do all of
> the magic on sourceware.  Or, I can build it, put it up, and let you know
> when to send the announcement.

Cygwin 1.7.1 binary and source packages are already available on
sourceware in ~corinna/x/.  I can upload them to the release area
whenever everything else is in place.  Or you can do it while doing
the magic.  Just keep me informed.

Are you going to upload the new setup now, or does it have to wait
for the 1.7.1 packages in place?  I'm not quite sure about the best
order of things.

> Btw, once this is all in place, this is the message that people will see
> the first (and only the first) time that they install a new version of
> cygwin:
>
>     This is the first time you've installed Cygwin 1.7.1.
>     Please be advised that this is a major release.
>     If you have not done so already, please check out
>     the documentation at http://cygwin.com/ to see how
>     the upgrade could potentially affect any existing
>     Cygwin installation.
>
>     If this is the first time you've installed Cygwin on
>     this system then you may ignore this message.
>
> The dialog box will show an "Ok" or "Cancel" where "Cancel" will stop
> the installation.
>
> Hmm.  I just realized that this should probably not show up in
> unattended mode.  Fixed.
>
> Older setup.exe's will not work with the new setup.ini at all, forcing
> people to download a new setup.exe from cygwin.com.
>
> Btw, if someone attempts to install the legacy cygwin on NT they will
> get this message:
>
>     You are attempting to install a legacy version of Cygwin
>     on a modern version of Windows.  Press "OK" if this is
>     really want you want to do.  Otherwise press "Cancel".
>     See http://cygwin.com/ for more information.

That sounds good.

My local changes to the index.html file contain a warning as well:

  <h3><center>NEW Cygwin 1.7.1 just released!</center></h3>
  require some <b>manual changes</b> afterwards.  Most notably the mount point
  storage has been moved out of the registry into files.  User mount points
  are <b>NOT</b> copied into the new user-specific /etc/fstab.d/$USER file.
  Rather, every user has to call the <b>/bin/copy-user-registry-fstab</b>
  shell script once after the update.  <b>PLEASE</b> read the new
  Cygwin installation to 1.7.  You're avoiding trouble.</p>

I have the move of the 1.7 docs prepared locally as well.  The addition
to article.db is waiting, too.

What's actually missing is the text for the announcement.  I think it's
best to keep it short and simple, just another warning to read the docs
in the first place and a list of a few major changes like /etc/fstab,
long filenames and IPv6.  Does that sound ok?

Red Hat