Re: Customizable cygwin setup.exe

Miles Gazic wrote:
I made a local cygwin mirror at my company, but I still had some
people that got confused when installing cygwin.  I've had the same
problem at previous jobs, where people are confused when installing
cygwin, and it makes them reluctant to do so.

I investigated what's required to customize the cygwin installer to
make it run without any manual interaction.

Arrrgggh. What is so hard about using the -P option? Here's my standard DOS batch file for installing Cygwin. Just change the download site and other bits you need for your install, and add packages to the PACKAGES variable.

Why does everyone insist on rewriting the wheel? It took a lot of
work to knock the sharp bits off setup.exe (1.7) - so let's
use it!

Ralph

@ECHO OFF
REM --------------------------------------------------------------------------
REM batch file to automate setup of Cygwin from the command line

SETLOCAL
  FOR /F %%D in ("%CD%") DO SET DRIVE=%%~dD

SET DFLTSITE=http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/cygwin/

  SET DFLTLOCALDIR=%CD%/download
  SET DFLTROOTDIR=%DRIVE%/cygwinTest

  SET SITE=-s %DFLTSITE%
  SET LOCALDIR=-l %DFLTLOCALDIR%
  SET ROOTDIR=-R %DFLTROOTDIR%

REM --------------------------------------------------------------
REM Here's where I keep track of which packages I've loaded for
REM different types of work

REM C development: gcc4-core make readline

SET PACKAGES=-P gcc4-core,make,readline

REM General : diffutils ctags

SET PACKAGES=%PACKAGES%,diffutils,ctags

REM Packaging : cygport

SET PACKAGES=%PACKAGES%,cygport

setup -q -n -D -L %SITE% %LOCALDIR% %PACKAGES%

ECHO Cygwin installation is updated

ENDLOCAL

EXIT /B 0