Re: Vim and gVim

On 16/09/2009 20:49, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
Corinna,

I would like to change how we are handling the vim/gvim installation.

gvim.exe still includes the terminal interface, and will use it if
$DISPLAY is unset or if called as vim, except that it accepts the '-g'
argument. (Same goes for view/vimdiff/rvim/rview). This becomes
important where vim is run from a script, an example of which is
$VIMRUNTIME/macros/less.sh:

$ alias vless='/usr/share/vim/vim72/macros/less.sh'
$ vless README
[works]
$ vless -g README
E25: GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time

If gvim is installed, it would be nice to have that work. emacs has the
same issue, so I suggest we use the same solution:

1) build/install vim.exe as vim-nox.exe;
2) ship symlinks ex and vi to vim-nox.exe (as I don't think GUI versions
of these two make any sense);
3) ship the attached postinst/prerm scripts in the vim package, which
will use alternatives create symlinks for vim/view/rvim/rview.
(Consequently, alternatives will be an added dependency.)

I will then rebuild gvim with similar alternatives usage, with a higher
rank so that it takes priority when installed.

Thoughts?

Ping?

Yaakov