Re: New run version with patches for Windows 7

On Aug  9 00:14, Andy Koppe wrote:
> 2009/8/8 Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>:
> > are you still with us in some way? ?There hasn't been a new version of
> > the "run" tool for ages. ?Now, with the upcoming Windows 7, ?it's
> > necessary to workaround a bug in W7 in terms of creating an invisible
> > console. ?I have experimented a lot and came up with an incredible
> > simple patch based on an idea from cgf. ?I restricted the code to os
> > versions >= Windows 7, but it works fine on Windows XP and later if the
> > os_version checks are changed from checking for >= 0x0601 to checking for
> >>= 0x0501. ?XP is the minimum version providing the AttachConsole function.
>
> Couldn't "run" just do nothing but invoke spawnvp() on the given
> command? This way, it would rely on the invisible console code in
> cygwin1.dll, and there'd be no need for duplicating any of that code.

Have you seen the patch?  The code duplication is tiny.  It's a much
simpler solution than in the Cygwin DLL.

Having the console creation code in run also has the advantage of
working when starting run from an existing console window.  The child
process will run detached from the existing console in an invisible
console window.  You can close the original console afterwards without
killing the process ran through run.

Red Hat