Re: [Preliminary Patch] setup.exe size/position restore on startup

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 09:59:38PM -0400, Jonathon Merz wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Per Dave Korn's suggestion in:
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00208.html
>
>I've put together a preliminary patch to make setup.exe restore it's
>last used size and position when it starts.  What I've got so far is:
>   - setup.exe reads it's last used size, position, and
>maximized/normal state from the settings file "last-wingeometry".
>
>   - If the "last-wingeometry" file does not exist or is empty, the
>default window geometry is used.
>
>   - If setup.exe exits while in a maximized state, it will be
>maximized on next startup, and recall it's last non-maximized size and
>position for restoration to normal state.
>
>   - Added the -g/--reset-geometry command line options to handle
>cases in which setup.exe may be restored off-screen, such as running
>setup.exe with saved geometry on a screen with much lower resolution
>than for it's last run.  If this option is used, setup.exe will start
>up with the default geometry and clear the last-wingeometry file if
>the geometry is not subsequently changed, or record new geometry if it
>is.
>
>   - Modified Makefile.am to account for newly added files.  Have to
>run bootstrap.sh to populate changes into Makefile.in before running
>configure.
>

>The attached patch is currently based on the current sources from CVS.
> I do also have it working with setup-2.573.2.3.
>
>I don't necessarily intend this as a final patch, as I still want to
>add the ability to save the column widths on "Select Packages" dialog,
>but I wanted to toss this out there to see what people think and see
>if anyone has any comments or criticisms with my direction so far.

Thanks for the patch but since you asked, I don't understand why you
chose to add so many new files and so many new classes.  It doesn't seem
like what you are doing calls for new classes.

Also you use varying white space styles.  You should stick with whatever
is in the surrounding code.  It is a shame that setup has so many
different styles.  Someone (maybe I) was asleep at the switch when the
varying styles made it into the code base but there is no need to
fragment things further.

I know that Dave asked for this but I really don't see the need to add
this much machinery.  I think this is a lot of work to go to for
something that is run infrequently and which is usually just clicked
through.  For other installers, people just seem to live with whatever
they do rather than kvetching the geometry of the windows.