Re: Installing beta (1.7) version parallel to current one

On May  4 15:27, Dave Korn wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On May  4 15:01, Dave Korn wrote:
>
> >>   Can we put our heads together and come up with a better plan?  Maybe we
> >> should put an actual "Cygwin 1.5 install detected - upgrade or install in
> >> parallel" option or dialog somewhere?
> >
> > Sure, right, of course, the earlier, the better.
> >
> > But the C++ code in setup is crazy.
>
>   I sympathize completely :)
>
> > I was not able to figure out how to
> > do what you propose above.  I really tried when I implemented the ACL
> > stuff and using the new registry key and all that in 2008.  I just
> > failed to wrap my head around the maniac class system which stores the
> > package information and failed to remove the information cleanly when
> > the "back" button gets pressed.  The underlying structure of setup was
> > apparently never designed for that.
> >
> > In theory, we don't want that anyway.  The release version of 1.7 is
> > supposed to replace the 1.5 release.  But it would be much better if
> > setup would allow a clean parallel install nevertheless.
>
>   Yeh.  Given the problem in making the data structures restartable, I think
> out best bet in the short term might be to a) give people an explicit choice
> of upgrade or parallel (default to upgrade) at an earlier screen, and
> subsequently gray-out the back button.  We could perhaps attach a label next
> to it explaining that you have to restart setup altogether, or add a little
> "Restart from scratch" button that actually kills and respawns setup maybe.

That sounds like a good idea.

Right at the start, if setup detects a "{HKLM,HKCU}/SOFTWARE/Cygnus Solutions"
key, but not a "{HKLM,HKCU}/SOFTWARE/Cygwin" key, it could open a dialog

  Setup for Cygwin detected an existing older Cygwin installation in
  (for instance) C:\cygwin.

  Do you want to update that installation or do you want to make
  a parallel install in (for instance default C:\cygwin-1.7)?

And the dialog which asks for the root directory should ideally only
show up at the initial installation but not in any subsequent update.
But that's not *that* important, I guess.

>   I'm looking at gcc and console stuff right now, then I'll come back to this.
>   In the meantime, I would love to hear everyone else's ideas for ways to deal
> with this glitch, I'll code up whatever we decide would work best.

Cool, thanks!

Red Hat