[Thread reset] GCC4 vs binutils

[ Time to start a fresh thread, since something's come up. ]

  In the thread at

        http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/threads.html#00448

Chuck reported a problem with cygmagic-1.dll causing a segfault when rebased.
 To cut to the end of the thread, this turns out to be owing to a bug that was
fixed upstream in ld, unfortunately just a few weeks after the current
binutils was released:

> http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2008-07/msg00372.html

  This problem affects potentially all maintainers and end-users who compile
DLLs using -static-libgcc.  Otherwise, it would have been the case that only
users who wanted to build the compiler themselves from sources would need to
worry about having a more recent binutils, but this problem can bite anybody,
so I guess we need to get a newer binutils out there.  Aaaaand, as long as
we're making plans for silencing that ld warning, we should try and get that
change in there first.

  CGF, how are you fixed for time right now?  Will you be able to do a release
sometime in the next week say?  But not so quickly that we don't have time to
get a quick patch in upstream to shut up the auto-import warning?  On a side
issue, are you going to want to handle the MinGW cross-binutils we'll be
needing for the cross-compiler further on down the line?

    cheers,
      DaveK