Re: GCC4 status.

Charles Wilson wrote:

> D'oh. I was forgetting that the cross compiler would be a cygwin app.
> For some reason I was thinking that it wouldn't be able to understand
> symlinks, so it needed actual files (copies) for its "relocated" w32api
> and mingw-runtime headers/libs.  Then again, the native cygwin compiler
> is obviously a cygwin app, so it's just a reasonable to put the "real"
> files in /usr/i686-pc-mingw32 and, as cgf mentioned, populate
> /usr/[include|lib]/[w32api] with symlinks.

  Of course, the cygwin1.dll itself is a MinGW app, so should live in
/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/bin !

> For mingw-runtime, the only reason not to completely relocate /ITS/
> headers, libs, and objects (but not mingwm10.dll and docs) is backwards
> compatibility with existing -mno-cygwin-capable compilers

  Yep, so since it's just a symlink that's what we'll do.

> Hmm. Maybe the "final" gcc-3.4.4-999 should be gcc-3.4.4-990. Just in
> case there are unanticipated wrinkles. <g>

  Nah, I'll just append an extra '9' if I ever need to respin it, thus
indicating that the final release ever would be gcc-3.4.4-aleph-null, which I
will be approaching asymptotically!  :-)

    cheers,
      DaveK