Re: GCC4 status.

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>> it's going to be a fairly non-standard
>> x-compiler in that it won't go into the usual $prefix/$target sysroot, it's
>> going to look for headers and libs directly where they live under the native
>> prefix in /usr/include/mingw /usr/include/w32api /lib/mingw and /lib/w32api,
>> and it's going to use the native 'as' and 'ld'.  So it's going to be an ugly
>> hybrid beast....
>
> Why? Why shouldn't it just be a normal, vanilla, cross-compiler? Just
> because we don't want two copies of w32api and mingw-runtime, or a
> cross-ld/cross-as?

  Yep, these were my original reasons.

> I think the maintenance headaches associated with an "ugly hybrid beast"
> outweigh those other, tiny, costs...

  Well, I'm as allergic as cgf seems to be to the idea of having
duplicated-and-potentially-inconsistent sets of the same files around the
place, but as the downthread consensus seems to be settling on, we can
rearrange things to have a proper $prefix/$target dir and build a proper one.
 (More to come in follow-on responses.)

    cheers,
      DaveK