Re: setup.hint format change?

Christopher Faylor wrote:
Would anyone mind if I changed the format of setup.hint to some
existing markup language?

What problems are you trying to solve?

I am not sure that the setup files require XML though.

I agree.

yaml

This seems closest to the current setup.hint format, and appears well supported.

I only question whether it provides anything we really need. Hierarchical data structures? Cross-references? List/array functionality? How do these help?

curly ml

There's only one library linked from the sf.net pages, written in Java, and it hasn't been touched in over two years. Seems like a dead end.

One you didn't list, which is simple and quite well supported, is JSON. There are parsers for it now for every major language, so don't let the "JS" throw you off. Plus, it might allow a faster cygwin.com/packages page. Mmmmm....yummy Ajax. :)

I'm also wondering if we should just be using rpm and forgetting
about our own package format.

I for one would prefer to be managing my Cygwin installations with yum and rpm, and much prefer spec files to Cygport, the best current Cygwin packaging tool. There's also hope when doing this that existing RPMs could more readily be ported to Cygwin, sometimes even with no changes.

> Of course rpm comes with its own set of problems.

I've been using RPM-based distributions since the mid 90's, and can only think of two serious RPM-related problems I've encountered:

- Back in the days before journaling file systems were common on Linux, every now and then a system crash would roach the RPM DB. That hasn't happened to me in many years now, roughly corresponding to ext3 becoming the default in most Linux distros. With Cygwin 1.7 requiring an NTFS-capable OS, I don't see a reason to worry about it on Windows today, either.

- Sometimes you get a dependency tangle. You can say the same about every dependency-aware packaging tool. Most of these problems come down to poorly-made package description files, or mixing RPMs from multiple Linux distributions. Cygwin being so centralized, we shouldn't have to worry about either problem.

On this note, I offer an unasked-for anti-vote for DEB. I'd rather stick with the incompleteness of Cygport than the complexities of debian/* trees. RPM packages are far easier to maintain than packages for these other two packaging systems, and lack for nothing I want in a packaging system.

I'll also note that the most trouble I've had with a packaging system in recent memory is with Sun's new Image Packaging System in Solaris. I've twice made Solaris boxes unbootable just by playing around in their GUI package manager, without even trying to force anything. The tool happily collaborated with a Solaris newbie (me) to author its own demise. I attribute this to IPS's 1.0ness. This is another reason I like the RPM option; I've never killed a Linux box just with RPM.