Re: [ITA] apr1-1.3.3-1

David Rothenberger wrote:

> I've changed the package structure as follows:
> ~ * libapr1: Runtime library and documentation.
> ~ * libapr1-devel: Development headers and libraries.
> ~ * apr1: Source package.

Something seems wrong here.  At the moment for the ABI=1 version we
have:

@ apr1
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime (development/documentation package)"
category: Libs Devel
requires: cygwin libapr1

@ libapr1
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime (runtime package)"
category: Libs
requires: cygwin

Okay, so you want to rename apr1 to apr1-devel, that makes some sense.
But why does apr1 continue to contain just the source?  Why not just
have apr1-devel contain the source and make apr1 a completely empty
package?  I don't think category _obsolete should contain any packages
that contain current versions, it should either be older ABI versions
(awaiting remaining clients to be rebuilt) or empty dummy packages to
support renaming/splitting.

Does this also mean that you will take over these as well:

@ aprutil1
sdesc: "Additional utility library for use with the Apache Portable
Runtime (development/documentation package)"
category: Libs Devel
requires: cygwin libaprutil1 apr1 libdb4.2-devel libgdbm-devel

@ libaprutil1
sdesc: "Additional utility library for use with the Apache Portable
Runtime (runtime package)"
category: Libs
requires: cygwin libapr1 libexpat0 libiconv2 libdb4.2 libgdbm4 crypt

Also, there are these four old ABI=0 packages to deal with:

@ apr
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime (development/documentation package)"
category: _obsolete
requires: cygwin libapr0

@ libapr0

@ apr-util
sdesc: "Additional utility library for use with the Apache Portable
Runtime (development/documentation package)"
category: _obsolete
requires: cygwin libaprutil0 apr

@ libaprutil0
sdesc: "Additional utility library for use with the Apache Portable
Runtime (runtime package)"
category: _obsolete
requires: cygwin libapr0 expat libiconv2 libdb4.2 libgdbm4 crypt

I can't find anything in current setup.ini that actually requires these
ABI=0 versions (other than themselves) so can't we just delete the above
four outright?

Or, how about the following idea: repurpose the the package named "apr"
(which was previously the ABI=0 one) to be the main documentation and
source package for the current ABI=1, so that we'd have:

@ apr
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime"
category: Libs
requires: libapr1 libapr1-devel

@ apr1
sdesc: "Empty placeholder"
category: _obsolete
requires: libapr1

@ libapr1
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime (runtime)"
category: Libs
external-source: apr
requires: cygwin

@ libapr1-devel
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime (headers)"
category: Libs Devel
external-source: apr
requires: libapr1

Brian