RE: New Setup for Cygwin 1.7 on cygwin.com

Christopher Faylor wrote on 15 August 2008 20:37:

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 01:23:38PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>> According to Corinna Vinschen on 8/13/2008 4:20 AM:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just uploaded a new setup-1.7.exe to install Cygwin 1.7.
>>>
>>> You can find it here:  http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe
>>
>> Any reason this version insists on maximizing itself when going to the
>> package selection screen, rather than remaining at the size of the
>> previous screen?
>
> Yep.  It's a feature designed to allow you to see all of the package
> information.  I prefer this to manual resizing from the 640x480 size
> every time.  Of course, you can always just click on the button in the
> upper right corner of the screen if it bothers you.

  I meant to bring this up when I noticed it.

  :-(  It's hideous.  It's a violation of good UI principles.  Windows that
do things like resizing themselves or changing depth order or stealing the
focus without an explicit instruction from the user to do so are obnoxious.
If a user has a lot of mirror subdirs in their local cache, parsing many
setup.inis can take a significant time, and they may have switched to
another application; when it suddenly jumps up in size, they aren't
expecting it and may easily find themselves pressing a button they hadn't
inte  AARGH I'M BLIND IT JUST LEAPT IN FRONT OF ME BUT DIDN'T TAKE THE FOCUS
WHERE AM I WHAT'S GOING ON!?!?!

  Sorry about that.  Setup.exe just leapt to the front of the sort order and
maximized itself, completely obscuring the window in which I was typing this
email, although it didn't take the focus and I had no idea what was going on
for a moment.  It had been quietly sitting away in the background chundering
away to itself while I was typing, and then WHAM!  It's all like "HEY
EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME NO ME ME MEMEME MEEEEEE!".

  Can you tell I don't like it?  ;-)

  Seriously: why don't we just have it remember the user's last setting?
Like just about every other window in just about every other application
does?

    cheers,
      DaveK