RE: New Setup for Cygwin 1.7 on cygwin.com

Brian Dessent wrote on 15 August 2008 14:46:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>> What I still don't get is that, in my local install, the update-info-dir,
>> coreutils, and terminfo postinstall scripts ran before the bash
>> postinstall script, even though all of them list bash as requirement.
>> Any idea?
>
> It's a circular dependency -- _update-info-dir and bash both list each
> other as requirements.

  And not the only one; see my graph for an illustration.  (That's a
manually-extracted subgraph of the whole dependency mesh, but 'complete' in
the sense that I've only omitted incoming dependencies).

> In such a situation with loops it's impossible
> to give a topological ordering that satisfies both constraints, so it
> comes down to chance (or rather the order that things are evaluated) as
> to which goes first.  It looks like _update-info-dir happens to get to
> the top.

  I think that the recent change to the depth that setup follows
dependencies may well have changed the number of times it cycles round any
given loop and therefore changed which dependency it ends up thinking is the
lowest when it hits that limit and stops cycling.

    cheers,
      DaveK