base-[files|password] for 1.7 (was Re: Cygwin 1.7.0-20 (was Re: Cygwin 1.7.0-19 (was Re: New Cygwin 1.7.0-18 in release-2)))

On Tue, July 22, 2008 6:42 pm, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>   You can now call mkpasswd and mkgroup without any -l or -d parameter
>   and both tools choose by themselves what information to print, depending
>   on the machine being a domain member machine or not.
>
>   This should result in a matching change to the base-passwd package for
>   1.7.  The /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh script should call both tools
>   without any parameter.
>
>   Could you please change that for us, John?

Ok, changed base-password/etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh to remove the
parameters when calling mkpasswd and mkgroup.  I've left the rest of the
script the same; that's OK?

Do we still want the base-files profile to have the message wrt group
names of mkpassword/mkgroup/mkgroup_l_d?

Are there any other changes wanted?  For example, I think a comment about
MAKE_MODE=Unix came up on the lists a few months ago...  Now's a good time
to alter anything.  Corinna; you use the tcsh shell don't you (I seem to
recall)?  Are there any profile defaults we should put in for it?

I've added a few licenses; AFL (1.1, 1.2, 2.0, 2.1), Apache (1.0, 1.1,
2.0), Artistic (1, 2), BSD, GPL (2.0, 3.0), LGPL (2.0, 3.0), MIT, PHP (3).
 Are there any others folks would like?

Is there anything more base-[files|password] could do for users?

My Debian /etc/profile sets EDITOR=vim useful?  (not if you've not
installed vim I suppose; vi?)

/etc/bash.bashrc has the following in both Debian and Ubuntu (not a
suprise I suppose);

# check the window size after each command and, if necessary,
# update the values of LINES and COLUMNS.
shopt -s checkwinsize

would it work in cygwin?  Also;

# if the command-not-found package is installed, use it
if [ -x /usr/lib/command-not-found ]; then
        function command_not_found_handle {
                # check because c-n-f could've been removed in the meantime
                if [ -x /usr/lib/command-not-found ]; then
                   /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/command-not-found -- $1
                   return $?
                else
                   return 127
                fi
        }
fi

could we do something similar?  (Although, I wouldn't want to bring python
into base if I could help it)  /usr/lib/command-no-found is a python
script as well.

Should we have a /etc/motd?  (not that I know what should calls/displays
it in the cygwin env; /etc/profile?)

I'll package and upload tomorrow evening if nobody has any improvements.

J.