Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 5:35:51 am Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Having said that, I would like to ask especially you package maintainers
> to set up a separate machine or a separate cygwin directory for the 1.7
> release.

Well, I'm a little slow on following and I'm not an official maintainer (yet) but
I am the maintainer of the Coda distribution for Windows that uses cygwin
heavily.   (In fact, I do have a set of sources that build cygwin packages that
we currently distribute via a "private mirror".   I've just not done the work
to do a GTG e-mail.   Part of the reason is that one of the packages, the
kernel module for Coda, requires a Windows build environment to be installed
even though the kernel module is compiled from a UNIX makefile ... so
once the extra build environments are installed, one can do "make; make install"
in the cygwin directory tree.... but I digress...)

I decided to try 1.7 with Coda and rather quickly got stopped by a user/group issue
in 1.7.   I have my primary sources copies on a NetBSD box with Samba running on it.
Works great from 1.5.   Map the drive in windows, use cygwin to compile via the
net.    In 1.7 the user and group returned is 2^32-1 (ffffffff) which doesn't allow me
to do anything other than read on the file server.

I'm not sure if this is the right list for 1.7 bugs or if they should go to another list.
If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me....

e.g. to the same file server and ls the same

1.5:

   cd /cygdrive/n
   ls -ldn JUNK
   drwxr-xr-x 1 500 513 0 May 27 10:54 JUNK

1.7:

  cd /cygdrive/n
  ls -ldn JUNK
  drwxr-x--- 1 4294967295 4294967295 0 Jan 14 2008 JUNK

So it looks like user, group, permissions and dates are all wrong under 1.7.

--Phil

--
Phil Nelson (phil at cs.wwu.edu) http://www.cs.wwu.edu/nelson
NetBSD: http://www.NetBSD.org  Coda: http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu