package lint suggestions

As part of my effort to allow maintainers to upload their own packages
I am thinking of finally writing a package lint script which checks for
known problems in packaging.

So, I'd like to get a list of things to check for.  Off the top of my head
I can think of:

- Existence of /usr/man, /usr/doc rather than /usr/share/man /usr/share/doc.

- Filenames begin with ./foo rather than just foo.

- Empty directories.

- Missing /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/* (probably a warning).

- Dangling symlinks

- DLLs not installed to /bin or /usr/bin.

- setup.hint syntax bad.

- setup.hint has overly long ldesc.

- setup.hint requires refers to nonexistent package.

- setup.hint external-source refers to nonexistent source.

I know that I'm missing some obvious stuff here.  What am I missing?