Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Apr 21 23:02, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > it just occured to me that I need the exact key name which setup will
> > use to store the root directory of the installation.  I nedd it to get
> > cygcheck working, even if it's not installed into the same path as the
> > Cygwin DLL.
> >
> >   "{HKLM,HKCU}\Software\Cygwin\???"
> >
> > ??? = "Setup\root" maybe?  Or with a version number?
>
> A good question.  I haven't implemented anything yet, so we can choose
> whatever we want.  I wonder if it's really necessary to have a whole
> subkey for this since at the moment there is only the one value that
> setup will read.  How about simply "\Software\Cygwin\rootdir"?

I would suggest to use a setup subkey, because you might find that
you have to store more than one value at one point.  It would be
cleaner this way, imho.  And originally we came up with the version
number, too, so what about "setup-2" or "setup"?

Anyway, it's your decision.  I will go with whatever you think is
approriate.  I just need to know so I can fix utils/path.cc.

Red Hat