Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Igor Peshansky wrote:

> But one thing to consider is that by adding a registry key, we're setting
> things up for one dominant installation of Cygwin.  So people juggling
> multiple installations really *will* have to go edit the registry to
> switch -- no more nice "mount -m" approach, since the mounts will no
> longer apply anyway.

Can you clarify what you mean here?  I don't understand.  You're talking
about maintaining separate installs, but part of the plan for setup.exe
that I outlined supports this directly by the fact that if you change
the value of the root install dir at step 2, setup then forgets anything
it knew about the previous value, enabling you to keep around as many
parallel installs as you want.

Or do you mean keeping around an old-style 1.5 tree and a new-style 1.7
tree simultaneously?  In that case you'd be using the old setup.exe
(which doesn't know a thing about $newkey) for the 1.5 tree so I still
don't see any conflict.  Where does the need to edit the registry
manually arise?

Brian