Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 05:13:33PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Apr  9 18:28, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> > It's ok.
>>
>> Oh, btw., can we really just use symlinks to the top-level dirs?
>> It just occured to me that some package directories contain
>> subdirectories for packages which are maintained by another
>> maintainer.  For instance the perl and python subdirs...
>
>I've now created a release-2 area.  I used a somewhat intermediary
>approach.  The dirs are real dirs, the tar.bz2 files are symlinks
>to the release area, the setup.hint and md5.sum files are copies.
>The cygwin subdir only contains 1.7.0-1 packages.
>
>Chris, could you please set up another upset which creates the
>corresponding setup-2.{bz2,ini} files?

I have another way to do this using a union fs.  Using a union fs means
that we can have a cygwin-2 directory which mirrors the old cygwin
directory, gaining the benefits of hardlinking, but also allowing
removals in the new directory without affecting the old cygwin
directory.

I set up a release-2008 directory briefly under
/sourceware/ftp/anonftp/pub/cygwin where I've removed all of the
cygwin-1.5* files from the cygwin directory, left the existing
setup.hint, and put cygwin-1.7* files there.  The directory now contains
the actual setup.hint from /sourceware/ftp/anonftp/pub/cygwin and
the new files that are unique.

The only downside to this is that the mirrors will apparently be copying
all of the data twice.  So, we could remove all of the obsolete files
and older revisions from this new release directory to minimize the
extra copying.

I've always wanted to use a union fs and I think that, except for the
hit on the mirrors, this is going to be the most problem free way of
maintaining a separate build area.