Re: [ITA] GNU Octave 3.0.0

Dear Corinna,
thanks very much for the feedback.

--- Corinna Vinschen  ha scritto:

> On Feb  7 10:28, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > The packaging looks basically ok to me.  I like
> the simplification into
> > base and devel package.  However,
> >
> > - the setup.hint file of the -devel package is not
> ok.  It looks like a
> >   simple copy of the former octave-headers
> setup.hint file and the
> >   package description doesn't match the actual
> package.

It is a simple copy :-)
I have not noticed the extra changes needed.

> > - I know that the former octave-headers also had
> dependencies to gcc-g++
> >   and gcc-g77, but it looks a bit far fetched to
> me to force a pure c++
> >   hacker to pull in g77, and vice versa.  I would
> remove the
> >   dependencies to both complier packages.  After
> all, it's a -devel
> >   package so every developer should know deep in
> the heart that a
> >   compiler is required...

OK.

> > - is the Octave 3.0.0 API backward compatible with
> the Octave
> >   2.1.x API?  Will old applications linked against
> those DLLs still
> >   run with the new release?  If yes, everything's
> fine.  If not,
> >   we would need new DLLs.  That would have the
> additional advantage
> >   that you could rename the DLLs to use the
> standard "cyg" prefix
> >   instead of the non-standard "lib" prefix.

I need to investigate. I strongly suspect that
compatibility is not requested, as 3.0 is substantial
different from 2.1 series.
Unfortunately any rebuild take a substantial time,
so I will need some time to eventually solve
the standard "cyg" prefix issue.

> I forgot two things.
>
> First a big THANK YOU for taking over the package.
>
> Second, the octave base package setup.hint file is
> missing a dependency
> to zlib.

Next time I should remember to write the
setup.hint immediately after "cygport <package> dep"
and not the week after :-(

> Corinna

Regards
Marco