Re: [itp] Coda filesystem

Phil Nelson schrieb:
         To support Coda as a standard part of Cygwin I would propose
the following packages:

lwp (Libs) -- A Coda specific light weight process library.
rvm (Libs) -- A "recoverable virtual memory" library that allows
persistant memory based data structures with a
transaction system for consistency in the face of crashes.
rpc2 (Libs) -- A remote procedure call package used by Coda (depends on lwp)
codafsd(net) -- The Coda "file system driver", the kernel module
required to make Coda work.
coda (net) -- Coda binaries including venus, the client cache manager,
and vice, the coda server. This package would do a standard setup for client. Would require knowledge and
work to finish building a Coda server. (depends on lwp,
rvm, rpc2, and coda-fsd.)

This would require the coda-fsd for a server. Coda servers do not need the codafsd. An alternate package list could be lwp, rvm, rpc2, codafsd and then split coda into: coda-client (net) -- The client binaries. coda-server (net) -- The server binaries.

The problem with this is that both server and client are compiled from
the same source tree. It would make the coda-client and coda-server packages have the same source tar file and the source tar file
would not be called either coda-client nor coda-server but just coda.

This is technically easy to solve. coda-client, with external-source: coda-server in its hint. The src tar would be coda-server. This is what I would prefer.

Should I prepare some cygport and hint files for you?
Then you only need the postinstall.sh

"The vote ..." (not GTG votes, just concept votes ...)

I would like to have two questions answered:

      1)   Is there support for adding Coda packages to Cygwin so any mirror
            has Coda ready to install?

       2)  If yes on 1,  which package set,  coda single package (client and
            server)  or  coda-client and coda-server packages?

Thanks for taking your time to look at this.

--Phil

p.s.   The private mirror is updated with the most current  cygwin and
coda packages.   It is located at http://coda.cs.cmu.edu/mirrors/cygwin.
The current install .exe is located at ftp://coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/winnt.
(ntcoda-b4.exe)

--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/