Re: ITP: xsri

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Apr 2 17:00, Charles Wilson wrote:

Can I get a GTG here?

Any people left who are willing to review packages? Grrr.

Charles, you're *really* long enough in that project to know what's good
or not good for a release. Just go ahead. You don't have to wait for a
GTG anymore, just upload what you think is ripe for uploading.

Well, okay...but on the other hand, the lack of interest in GTG'ing a package is also an indication of a lack of interest in having the package in the distro at all. If no-one is interested enough in using the package to GTG it, then ... well, in some cases the person ITPing it might want to consider whether it's worth the commitment to go ahead with the package. Although it's true that the set of people who can GTG (current package maintainers) is quite a bit smaller than the set of people who might be interested in using a package (larger than cygwin ml subscriber list).

Now, in this particular case -- xsri -- the package is so simple [easy to maintain, low number of problem reports expected], as all the real work is done by the gtk libs, that I'll go ahead and upload it despite those reservations.

However, given the above discussion, I'll wait a while longer before moving forward with rxvt-unicode-X, in the absence of a GTG. (The only person to have attempted to build it reported problems; I'm convinced those problems are resolved/PIBKAC, but he never followed up. So...)

Further, in the case of the other three packages
libW11
libXpm-W11
rxvt-W
these all need actual votes (as they have no analogue in Linux distros), and have received none as yet. (Plus, the fact the rxvt-W *doesn't actually work* is kind of a drawback. I'd really want some community "buy-in" before uploading these three, even as setup.hint 'test:'-only packages)

It would
just be nice if you could in turn GTG a few more other packages once in
a while.

Friendly nudge accepted. I did kinda get out of the habit of GTGing stuff a while back...I have vague memories of a more-than-I-bargained-for time-sink last time I did one [not util-linux], but I don't recall any other details. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

-----
Speaking of which, I did recently test the new util-linux package, and have a new cygutils ready to go with it. But Yaakov needs to address item (B) from this message
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-03/msg00117.html
even if only to say "Okay, I'll make a note to update the README on the *next* release".

Nevermind responding to this util-linux thread-jack; I'll repost in the correct thread
-----

-- Chuck